[CAUT] why does it feel better?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 29 09:34:00 MDT 2006

Hi Wim,
	I don't want to get into HT/WT versus ET in particular, but I think
you have to consider the response of a pianist to a piano from a very
complex, psycho-physical point of view. Say the pianist uses the same
physical approach, and the piano sounds different. It will "feel
different" because the feel of what was done has produced a different
sound. So both voicing and tuning will cause a piano to "feel
different." Make a bit of sense? It has to do with sensory feedback.
If, for instance, a pretty light touch produces a relatively "bright"
sound (due to voicing or unisons being a little off), and then you
tune the unisons or sugar the crowns, the same light touch is
producing a less bright sound. "Feels" different. Might be described
by some as "heavier" (more effort required to produce the same
sound). Similarly, lacquering hammers might make the piano "feel
lighter."
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico