[CAUT] why does it feel better?

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Tue Aug 29 08:44:26 MDT 2006

Many times over the years, I have had customers tell me the piano felt
better after I tuned it. One of those times was last week.

We have 2 D's in our Concert Hall, one about 25 years old, and the
other just 4 years old. The new one is not being played much. On the
advice of Ed Foote, I put a Coleman II on the piano. We had convo on
Friday, and I brought out both pianos for the piano professor to try
out. He didn't say anything about the tuning, but he did say the new
one "felt" better. Another professor also mentioned that the piano
played better than ever before.

So why does tuning the piano, not just a regular ET tuning, but also a
historical tuning, make the piano feel different?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music