[CAUT] Tenor thonk

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Aug 22 16:54:20 MDT 2006

Hey Folks,

I'm working over a Chickering grand, about a 6 footer or a shade longer. The
bass on this piano reminds me of a M&H BB, big and boomy. Running a
chromatic scale up from the bass there is an obvious transition problem when
you get to the tenor. It is kind of a nasal "thonk." Funny thing is though
when you run the chromatic scale down the tenor and into the bass, the
transition doesn't sound as obviously poor. Tenor sounds reasonably decent -
not big and boomy, but not thin either, fairly round but just doesn't
project or have the swell like the bass. I have done all I think possible
with hammer voicing to even it out. I'm thinking it is a board/bridge/string
issue of mass (too much or too little?). Or impedance? Or, ??? Short of
board re-design, anyone have any suggestions for improving this transition?

It is in a lively classroom. It is not used for performance, but is used for
chamber practice and such. Not the highest priority situation, so re-design
is not an option. But it is a decent piano and worth keeping around.

Thanks for your ideas.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University