[CAUT] Steinway Technical

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Aug 3 16:05:38 MDT 2006

On Aug 3, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> Well, I don't use it and never have.  I've always just been leery
> of it, because every lubricant I've ever used that goes on wet,
> eventually gets tacky with age, and I believe I've heard other
> technicians testify that they've had similar results using wet
> lubricants like McLube and Protek on pins.
Hi Jeff,
	Mclube definitely won't get tacky with age or leave a gummy residue.
The wet portion is purely a vehicle, and it flashes off rapidly,
leaving a thin coating. You can see that happen when you apply it. I
put some in a 1 oz hypo oiler from Schaff (with the red, rubber cap
for the needle), thinking I'd like to carry some around with me
rather than constantly be going back to the shop for it. I had had
good luck with acetone/keytop staying in those hypos without undue
evaporation, but the McLube was evaporated away in a very short time
(maybe I didn't have the lid quite tight enough). Anyway, what was
left in the bottom was a mm or so of hard, white substance, very
similar to what I scavenged as a sample from the Steinway vats where
they dip flanges. Inert, slippery, no way it would ever be gummy.
Hard, semi-brittle plastic is how I would describe it.
	I am sold on McLube for keypins, capstans, glides, keyframe and
keybed friction points, keyframe return spring, damper wires, under
side of damper underlevers, etc, etc. Great stuff, and well worth the
wee bit of time it takes to apply with a rag or a brush. Lasts well,
doesn't attract any dirt. Not good stuff to be inhaling all the time,
but otherwise, I love it. I won't vouch the same for Protek CPL or
for ProLube, though I do use both all the time with generally good
results.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico