[CAUT] follow up on tuning for the local orchestra

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Wed Apr 12 14:28:08 MDT 2006

In a message dated 4/12/2006 3:18:53 PM Central Standard Time,
custos3 at comcast.net writes:

Wim,

Be careful. You salary is being paid from public funds,  which means that
politics plays a role. Every once in a while someone is  liable to start poking
around looking to dredge up dirt on someone else, or  make a reputation as a
"waste vigilante" or some other such posturing. Doing  work on State time for an
outside organization just doesn't look good - and  might even be illegal, no
matter how beneficial this outside organization  might be and how much you
think this benefits the University. As long as your  services are not explicitly
included in the rental agreement between the  university and the orchestra and
the extent of such services is not spelled  out, you are putting yourself in
a vulnerable position. You can donate as much  of your own time as you wish to
anyone you wish, but you cannot on your own  decision donate the time that
the University pays for. You should at the very  least keep a careful record of
time spent, to show that none of the University  time went into this donated
orchestra work.

Israel  Stein

Israel

Maybe in a big city like San Francisco, and in a state like California,  this
is a problem. But   we don't have the kind of scrutiny, or  "politics" you
seem to be concerned about. The chair of the department is  1st horn, and most
of our applied professors play in the orchestra,  including the orchestra
personell manager. The executive secretary of the  symphony is an adjunct professor
in the music department, and also the director  of the  the community chorus,
in which students are also allowed to sing.  In other words, it's all very
interelated. We've got better things to do than  try ot dig up dirt on anyone.

Wim