[CAUT] Econ Article

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:11:31 -0600

Jeff,

At 15:13 10/31/2005, you wrote:
>Richard, you nailed it on the head.
>
>6.  Honestly now:  Is it REALLY possible to moonlight without
>"affecting your full-time university duties"?

YMMV - I _am_ full-time here.  Always have been.  I also have tried my
damnedest to maintain a 40 hour week. Sometimes, I actually do!

Over the years my moonlighting has added 10-15% above my salary. My hourly
rate/tuning fee is greater than my salary's "hourly rate". Average it out.
I'm doing less than 4 hr/week in moonlighting. I always have cold beer in
the refridgerator, and I've done a fair amount of traveling on my
moonlighting proceeds.

The powers that be have seen fit to annually rehire me 24 times. It must
not be adversely affecting my "university duties" that much.

>>Me very lucky living so close to campus that I can easily walk. ;-}
>
>Doesn't your case get awful heavy? : )

Not when I leave it at school.

>Seriously, ya don't particularly want to put your kids in school within
>walking range just anywhere.

Kids? Wazzat?

>>>Reduced mileage, but absolutely NO income tax deduction either.  That 48
>>>cents a mile would come in handy for commuters too.
>>
>>It kicks in completely for "moonlighting". If you do a tuning on your way
>>home, at least _that_ part of the commute is covered.
>
>Certainly.  What I meant though was the comparison -- yes you're driving
>more, but earning more, AND you get compensated for the mileage.  But you
>can't get compensated for your "commute" mileage if you select the reduced
>income FTE option.
>
>So, if you're walking, how do you show the IRS proof of that mileage for
>your "moonlighting" on the way home?  : )
>Jeff T

If I'm moonlighting, I drive to pick up my tools and log every mile. My GPS
is good at that.

BTW, since I live on a one-way street, it takes longer to drive than it
does to walk...
;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;