[CAUT] Econ Article

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:13:58 -0500

Richard, you nailed it on the head.

But if I might add just one itty bitty little point and one little
bitty question:

9.  Differences in "benefits" from state to state and private vs.
state institutions.  There IS a difference.

6.  Honestly now:  Is it REALLY possible to moonlight without
"affecting your full-time university duties"?

One other issue which affects CAUT economics is that it is no secret
that some positions are "unofficially" half-time hours (20 hrs/wk)
for what would otherwise be low full-time (40 hrs/wk) pay.  The
resuit being that when other schools are doing research to establish
full-time salaries where the administrators are expecting a 40 hour
position, the data produces tainted results.  It's a great deal for
those techs in those "half-time" positions, but everybody else gets
the southern end of the northbound mule.
Jeff