[CAUT] hearing

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:49:07 -0600

I just sent off much of the thread on hearing to my audiologist who has
known nothing of tuners or singers needs until I came along. I am hoping she
will become concerned enough to try to offer some helpful observations.    I
am wondering if we need to inform customers that every tuning potentially
compromises hearing, and thus pitch raising should become more a financial
consideration than certainly I have given it.   Using TuneLab, I normally go
through pianos twice as a matter of course.    After reviewing all the
posts, I am wondering if informing customers what the additional noise
"costs" us, they should bear that cost financially when they let their
pianos get in horrible shape due to neglect.

I would be interested in knowing at what point of deviation techs begin to
charge extra for pitch raises.  Of course I know that this will be affected
somewhat by the level of piano.  A PSO can tolerate a lot more messing with
than a D.  Yet at some point decisions have to be made.   I had to do a
150-250 cent raise last week....   A plug for the impact hammer- what an
energy saver!  I don't use it for final passes yet, but at some point
probably will.       That isn't germane, except that the more I practice
with it, the closer I come to "one click" accuracy for pitch raising, thus
lessening the amount of ear strain involved.  (I had to raise a Hamburg D 15
cents this weekend for a piano competition.........  This piano is at a
university.  The school is on contract with one of the local

les bartlett

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: winmail.dat
Type: application/ms-tnef