[CAUT] tech position

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:06:24 -0500

Who would determine how much "half time" is, and monitor the dividing of the
time?  I would be worried that an administration would press the tech from
both sides to spend more time, do more work, and the poor guy could be run
ragged trying to please everyone..
les bartlett
houston

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Richard West
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 8:01 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] tech position

Hello, All,

Here's a real life scenario from a music school administrator who used
to live here in Lincoln.  I'd like to get your
comments/suggestions/ideas before I send a reply.

Richard West, RPT
University of Nebraska, Lincoln

"we farm our piano work out to a number of different individuals.  We
pay about $13,000 a year, but this is basically tuning.  Instruments are
repaired only as needed and then only when absolutly necessary.  Regular
scheduled maintenance is non-existant. What we need is a piano
technician, but there is no way that I will be able to convince the
upper administration to fund such a position.

So what I'm exploring is the possibility of going together with one
other university in the area to hire a full-time technician who could
serve essentially as a half-time technician at each school.  I'm not
sure how a contract would or could be drawn up, but conceptually I'm
interested in seeing if this would work.

so

Do you know of any other place that has this type of an arrangement,
i.e. one person who is hired by two schools to a full-time position
where he/she would essentially work 1/2 time at each school

How would we go about finding such a person?  How would ascertain if
they are competent?

Finally, what would a new technician earn?  I understand that this will
vary in different parts of the country, but I'm hoping that I could pull
together @$30,000 a year in salary + all the benefits that would go
along with a normal university staff position; health care, retirement,
life insurance, dental, etc.

Do you think that would do it?"