[CAUT] lack of support

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:08:37 EDT

As most of you know, I play handbells. Last year I was given a shop/office
that is big enough to set up 3 octave set of handbells. For those of you that
are not familiar with this, my shop is so big, that this requires and area of
about 20' by 8', and I still have enough room left over for my desk, work
benches and cabinets, and to set up a grand piano. But never mind about that.

With the handbells set up all the time, I had the opportunity to practice a
lot, and so I decided to put on a recital at the music school. On the program
I  played 8 solos, my wife and I played 6 duets, with a friend from church a
trio, and I had the Crimson Ringers, the student handbell ensemble which I
direct, play 2 pieces.

The recital was last Thursday, and it went very well. We had a very
appreciative audience of about 70 people show up. But the audience was made up  of
people from my church, the community chorus my wife and I sing in, and other
people from the community. But as far as I know, there were no School of Music
faculty in the audience. I had sent out an invitation to all the faculty and
staff, and there were posters all around the building announcing the recital,
but not one of them showed up.

I can understand that handbells are not for everyone, and I know there were
some faculty members that were out of town or had other obligations. But you
would think that out of 40 people, one or two of them would have the time to
come and hear the recital. On the one hand I am grateful for the people that
did  show up, but on the other hand, I am somewhat disappointed with the lack
of  support from the faculty.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Wim