[CAUT] Odds & Ends

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:40:09 -0500

Avery:

On the uprights, David Steinbuhler (the man who makes the 7/8 actions)
sends keys and action rails to Charles Walter and they build the piano
with that set of keys.  The rest of the action is stock.  To convert it
back, you'd have to cut the extra wide cheek blocks, put in new front
and balance rails, and get new keys.  David also sells the Steinbuhler
piano and I believe they come with 2 sets of keys.  They are made for
him in China.

dp

David M. Porritt
dporritt@smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Avery Todd
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:24 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Odds & Ends

Dave,

At 02:43 PM 10/18/2005, you wrote:
>Avery:
>
>Yes we have several 7/8 keyboards.  Dr. Leone is the teacher who uses
>and teaches on these.

Thanks. That's the name. (You too, Chris.)

>We have a 7/8 keyboard in a B in her studio along with a "normal" B.
We
>still have the regular keyboard for that piano but I don't think it's
>been used for a couple of years.
>
>We have a 7/8 action for a D in our recital hall and 3 uprights with
7/8
>actions.

I didn't realize there were uprights also. How does that work. Just
change
out the keys? Or does it also have a different action?

>For practice, Dr. Leone has been quite generous in allowing
>students to use the 7/8 in her studio and they have the 3 uprights.
>When a recital is scheduled for a pianist using the 7/8 it is scheduled
>in the recital hall that has that D.

That may be our problem here. The students primarily use one hall &
faculty
& guests use the large one. And since it's Abbey wanting one
here.......... :-)

>I've changed the cheek blocks on
>that piano so it has thumb screws so a person can exchange the actions
>without the need for any tools.

Two of ours have wing nuts.

>I made a PowerPoint presentation that
>shows how to swap the actions simple enough for even pianists!  :-)

If we ever get one, I may be contacting you about that.

>The actions for a Steinway D are adjustable to fit any Steinway D with
>half day's work (or so).  There are adjustments to cope with unlevel
key
>beds, wrong string height, quick adjustment for damper timing, etc.

With that information, it might could be made to work here. Assuming the
recitals aren't scheduled TOO close together. :-)

>We've had at least one of these since October 2000.  If you have more
>questions, I've had lots of experience with them.

Thanks for the offer. I'll remember that.

Avery

P.S. Will it even fit the Nossaman 'D'? ;-)