[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:11:43 -0500

Re: [CAUT] Keydip--how deepHey all,

Well, I thought I'd report on how it worked out.  I took Jim Busby's =
suggestion of looking at the bore distance and ended up raising the =
stack .018" (thin white card punching).  It did the trick and put =
everything where I wanted it.  The first person to play it was Michael =
Wolff, a jazz pianist and Steinway artist.  His first comment to me was, =
"This action feels really good."  Thumbs up!  =20

Darn, I forgot to ask him to mention it to the manager of the =
auditorium.  :-)

Thanks everyone for your help. =20

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: central=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 11:27 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Keydip--how deep

  Hello,
        Back in 1998, Ruth Laredo commented that "the keys go down too =
far" on our then new D.   Dip at that time was about .415.  (This D has =
a high string height).  Having wrestled with keydip question myself, I =
recently asked Ralph Votapek about it.  His comment was that one could =
feel deeper into the keys and get more power with deeper dip and =
possibly more control.  He doesn't mind it.  Other worthy pianists have =
given me varied opinions.   My conclusion is that one size doesn't =
necessarily fit all.=20
       Ed Foote's post did a great job of pointing out the ruling grades =
for keydip and how they vary.  Short of rebuilding the piano, replacing =
hammers with different bore distance, or some other geometry alteration, =
there are some choices/compromises we must make in regulating.  All we =
can do is listen to the pianists comments on a particular instrument and =
make whatever compromise is suitable and hope that what pleases one will =
satisfy another.  I don't think any hard-fast rule is going to suffice.
  -Mike Jorgensen=20