[CAUT] Keydip--how deep

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:36:13 -0600

Barbara,

=20

Steinway says between .390 and 420. That works for me.=20

=20

Is the bore distance correct on this piano? We had a D that just didn't
work right and Ron Conners suggested the stack needed to be raised
slightly. It worked.

=20

Jim Busby BYU

=20

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Barbara Richmond
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 12:21 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: [CAUT] Keydip--how deep

=20

Hi folks,

=20

I've had some private correspondence with a few about this, but what the
heck, I'll go public to get a few more opinions.

=20

Just wondering how deep you are willing to go with the key dip on a
Steinway D.   I'm trying to decide when to sacrifice blow distance for
comfortable dip--or making the dip deeper than I like to eek out more
blow distance.  =20

=20

I suppose what it really comes down to is how much difference in power
there would be between 1 7/8" blow and 1 3/4"?  Significant?  This is a
really big hall (a bit less than 3500 seats), so power is an issue. =20

=20

Right now (with Crescendo punchings) dip is at .401" (my .391 block with
a .010" punching added), blow around 1 3/4" with .030" aftertouch.  It
feels a lot better <to me> than when the blow was at 1 7/8", though I
didn't have any complaints when the dip was deeper.  I did go back and
read a bunch of stuff in the archives about dip and folks reported that
they didn't have complaints about deep dip, but I don't recall anyone
getting real specific about how deep they were actually willing to go.

=20

Thanks for sharing your experience,

=20

Barbara Richmond, RPT =20