[CAUT] 1966 G-2 THANKS ALL!!

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:28:19 -0500

So what do we do who do virtually no restringing, and carry only "inch
sizes", when a metric string breaks?  I don't replace half a dozen strings a
year from breakage........
les bartlett

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of Ron
Nossaman
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 6:07 PM
To: ilvey@sbcglobal.net; College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] 1966 G-2 THANKS ALL!!

> But the key thing is Japanese pianos have string sizes 1/2 size smaller
than the size number, i.e. 13.5 is 13 etc....how we figure out whether it is
towards bass or towards the treble from the stamp for me generally is as you
say...wherever the stamp starts...tenor or treble....BUT if we do that on a
Yamaha, I believe, we are installing a 1/2 size too big wire....MIC IT!!!!!

> David Ilvedson, RPT

Of course, mic it. These would be metric sizes, which are 0.0005"
smaller in diameter in the #13 wire gage, to 0.0007" smaller in #20
gage, so they aren't quite a half size smaller than AWG, but are
exactly right if you're using metric gage wire.

Ron N