[CAUT] 1966 G-2 THANKS ALL!!

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:13:59 -0400

On Oct 13, 2005, at 11:32 AM, David Ilvedson wrote:

>  In other words it doesn't always start at the tenor bridge and go
> up...am I as clear as mud?

Common sense makes us want to think this way, but I don't think
manufacturers always are using a whole lot of that.  Matter of fact,
this thread's got me wondering how many times I might have used the
wrong wire size replacing a single broken wire.

Steinways are stamped from 88 and go down, Baldwins from the lowest
tenor and go up.  I haven't changed a string on a Yamaha in so long I
don't remember.  I'm sure that how the plate is stamped is production
related - whether each company trains its stringers to start at 88
and go down or at the low tenor and go up.

You can also tell by looking at how the stamped unisons share wires
with neighboring unisons.  On a three string unison, the string which
is shared by two unisons is either on the left or right.  If it's on
the left, obviously the notes to the left will share that wire size,
and vice versa.

Jeff