[CAUT] 1966 G-2 THANKS ALL!!

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:20:59 -0500

At 11:56 AM 10/13/2005, you wrote:
>At 11:36 AM 10/13/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>>David,
>>
>>I "believe" you're incorrect about that. I've always understood
>>that if the numbering started on #88, that's the smallest size used.
>>
>>However, if there isn't a number at #88, that means they started
>>numbering from the low end, which would mean that the 13.5 you
>>mention is the smallest number & continues on to note 88. As far as
>>I know, if an instrument is numbered at all, the highest number
>>"printed" wherever, is the smallest size.
>>
>>I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. I hope not though, because
>>if I am, I've installed quite a few incorrect string sizes over the years! :-(
>>
>>Avery
>

>Kinda depends on the manufacturer...
>
>Baldwin SD10 - the size marking on the plate by the strings  - the
>lowest number is by note 22 pins.
>Steinway B   - the size marking on the plate by the strings  - the
>lowest number is by note 21 pins.
>SD10 highest marking is at 88, Steinway is at 85. - both have 4
>unisons of the smallest size.
>
>Depends on whether you are stringing from the bass or from the
>treble, you've got to know whether you START a new size or STOP when
>you get to the number.

I realize that and that's what I was "trying" to say, I think. With
David's question, I was saying that the size 13.5 he mentioned was
where that size BEGAN and then went UP to #88.

This would be the case if the lowest plain wire tenor string had a
number on it, indicating that's where the numbering BEGAN. In other
words, if the numbering STARTS on the lowest plain wire, there won't
be a number at note 88.

Am I duplicating one of David's "plain as mud" type of comments. :-)