[CAUT] low friction bearings

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:05:36 -0400

Ed:
>"Friction free" bearings- well, harpsichords approach this, and they
>tune easily with a T hammer.  An impact hammer might work well on a
>vertical piano with low friction.  But this assumes you will use
>standard tuning pins.

I wasn't assuming any particular type of tuning pins. Just imaginary
ones for now.

>What do you mean by "solid, stable front and back lengths?"

Meaning some means which is rigid enough that it is stable. Any
instability in the non-speaking lengths will be instantly transmitted
to the speaking lengths if there is no bearing friction, thereby
making them unstable too.

>Same total string lengths within a trichord should help with
>stability over temperature and humidity change.

Yes.

>If this is a purely hypothetical piano, why not get rid of the front
>lengths entirely?  Have the string connect directly to the front
>termination point.

You need separate points for acoustic and mechanical termination,
unless your acoustic termination is grounded (to hold the tension
force). So, in principle, you could have both the same, but only at
one end of the speaking length (e.g. strings tied at a movable
agraffe). The other end will need a separate mechanical and acoustic
termination so you can hear it, and therefore at least a backlength
is unavoidable.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett