[CAUT] Anyone using UFO CA glue?

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:06:59 -0500

I think I only did two complete pianos.  A Baldwin M which had some kind of
"stuff" used on it years before. I turned it upside down and did it from the
bottom to almost no effect, though I have managed to tune it for the last
couple of years....  The other was a Samick upright, which I ended up
repinning. The stuff certainly was not good on the delignit.  I've
"spot-shot" a few pins here and there on an old upright where two or three
pins just wouldn't hold.    Actually, the humidity in Houston is not "that
bad".  Yeah, it's not Arizona, but we do get some really dry weather.  Now,
I have pulled a few pins, swabbed the holes, and redriven the pins- and that
has worked like a charm. I like that better than using epoxy.

les

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Susan Kline
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:58 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: [CAUT] Anyone using UFO CA glue?

At 07:45 PM 10/4/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>I thought the CA and pinblock thingie lost favor because it seemed to
>tighten up very loose pins a little, but then actually seemed to loosen the
>tightest pins.    I've not had satisfactory results with it.

Hi, Les

Now, that's very interesting. Can you describe how you did it? How much,
timing,
condition before you started, maybe piano brands, whether the pinblock had
had glycerin tightener before? Had the pins been tapped down already? Were
there plate bushings?

I wonder if the humidity in Houston may have affected how far in it got
before it set up?

Ted Sambell didn't like the stuff, either, but I think it was because the
air at Banff was so dry it wouldn't set.

Susan