[CAUT] Anyone using UFO CA glue?

Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:59:56 -0400

Ken & all -
As explained to me by two technical people from Loctite, which manufactures
a wide variety of CA and other adhesives, their Odorless formulation (408
Prism brand Instant Adhesive) accomplishes its odorlessness through a
fornulation that has a heavier molecular weight than the odor-ful
versions.  This weight keeps any fumes from rising to nose level.  This is
measured as Vapor Pressure.  The exposure limit for this formulation is set
at the same level as the regular product, which is 0.2ppm TWA.   The odor
is perceptible at 1-2ppm and irritation occurs at 3-4ppm.  Which means, if
you can smell it, you're already over the threshold limit.  We discussed
the difference between allergic response and irritant response, the later
being the issue in most cases.  Allergic response is found more in skin
contact than respiration.

While the MSDS advises use of approved respirator, the document's author
indicated that such dependance is strongly discouraged for a number of
reasons.  OSHA regulations require that:

- Any respirator, apart from its appropriateness, must be properly fitted,
(sorry, no beards allowed :()
- Worker must pass physical to confirm ability to tolerate respiratory
strain associated with pulling air through filter device
- Ambient atmospheric moisture will cause fumes to polymerize on the mask's
surface, rapidly restricting the available air flow

Bottom line...respirators are not a desirable solution to CA fumes.

Only truly advisable method is to generate air exchange.  Simple air
circulation, as with a fan is NOT advised, since it will distribute the
fumes, though, if the space is large enough, and the elapsed time is not
prolonged, a fan might work to displace the fumes from the immediate area
of deployment.

As to the post from Dorothy Bell, I can't address the chemistry, per se,
however, the issue of respiratory irritation and the ensuing reactions
seems to present itself at lower dosage than would be required to cause any
symptoms of cyanide poisoning.  The MSDS indicates a concern for the
material as an irritant, not as a toxin.

Bottom bottom line - Fumeless is better, fresh air is best.

Last bottom line - MSDS for Accelerator indicates central nervous system
irritant.  The residue left after solvent dissolves is, in a word,
nasty.  I've been way to cavalier in my use of this stuff.

David Skolnik
Of course, I could be wrong