[CAUT] Mapes single bass string...

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:49:09 -0500

Hey, Alan,

Before I started at MU, I did a fair bit of rebuilding work for a dealer,
mainly stringing.  We used to get all our strings from Mapes and I loved
them.  Then about 6-7 years ago we started having problems, mainly 1 or 2
strings in each set being dead when brought up to tension.  We asked some
questions, and apparently one of the old boys had recently retired.  Shortly
after that I met James Arledge at convention.  I haven't bought sets of
strings anywhere else since.  I get my singles from Schaff now; I don't know
if they make their own or get them from Mapes.  I have noticed some where
the measurements were obviously not exactly right, but I've always been able
to make them work.  It seems like this usually happens when I take
measurements from a neighbor string under tension, because the broken string
is long gone, and they don't figure the elongation correctly.  Either that
or I just figured I messed up taking the measurements.  Anyway, my
preference now is to splice the old string whenever possible, and replace
only when absolutely necessary.  Then I know it will fit.

Ken Z.