[CAUT] Mapes single bass string...

Alan Crane alan.crane@wichita.edu
Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:32:54 -0500

I'm frustrated (and its past quitting time on a Monday...)...

Here at WSU, we have an 1898 Steinway grand in one of the practice rooms.
Recently, a bass single-string decided to break at the speaking-side
bridge pin (of all places!).

I'd been ordering replacement strings from Arledge and was very
pleased with the results (albeit at $30 or so per string incl. shipping).
I decided to order this one from Mapes and, rather than trusting them
to have a scale stick for something that old, I phoned in the
measurements I'd taken with my Arledge tape measure and micrometer:

Hitch to speaking bridge pin:   138mm           what I got back
was:    135mm to the beginning of the wrap!
Hitch to agraffe:               1341mm  what I got back
was     1474mm to the end of the winding!

Well, I looked at the flyer that came with the string they sent and
noticed that Mapes wants different measurements than Arledge...
no surprise except that they never said anything on the phone when I
gave them the measurements the first time so I just assumed that they
were comfortable with that data format.

Instead of asking that they make another string gratis, I just phoned
in another order for the same string but, this time, gave the
measurements they requested in their flyer:

Hitch to winding:               5 3/4 inches    what I got back
was     5 1/4 inches  (which doesn't quite clear the bridge pin)
Length of winding:              45 5/8
inches           "               40 3/4 inches  (hitch to end of
winding was 46 1/8 inches)
** also, this time the core dia. had dropped from .049" to .047"
         and the outer wrap O.D. (which on the first replacement was
the correct .178") was anywhere from .055" to .064" along the length
of the winding.

I know some of you out there have no problems ordering from Mapes and
I'd like to patronize them now & then too.
Their turn-around time is very short... (I'd like to say I like their
strings too but I haven't been able to install one yet...).
I just need to know what I'm doing wrong here.
Any hints??

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT
School of Music