[CAUT] Miking pianos

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:03:24 -0700

Hi Alan,
     I feel your pain. We had Dave Brubeck here a couple years ago.
He played a D I had just spent a couple days prepping. Sounded like a
honky tonk. Embarrassing and uncalled for.
     I'm sorry that I don't have good specific advice to offer, but
the main problem I think is extra close miking, IOW mike placed as
close to strings as possible. I have often thought that good results
might be obtained with under the piano placement of mikes, but never
persuaded anyone to try, other than with contact mikes on the
board) . And of course there is a wide variety of types of mike, from
omnis to directionals to contact. Contacts sometimes seem to work
well, either under the board or attached midway up the lid or so.
Directionals can be very nice if they have distance from the strings
- at least 3 to 4 feet. And they can work okay at the same time to
keep the piano separate from the "rest of the band" for mixing
purposes, because of the directional control. I'm not sure there is a
good solution involving omnis, assuming you do need to keep the piano
on discrete channels for sonic control. Lots of folks like to have
the lid closed or nearly so, which certainly doesn't help matters -
leading to my "under the board" suggestion above.
     I'm sure there are others with far more experience and knowledge
on the list, and hope that some will take the bait and give us some
pointers. There is a definite need.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico