[CAUT] keytops

Stan Kroeker stan@pianoexperts.mb.ca
Thu, 12 May 2005 20:09:34 -0500

David (and others),

The generic acrylic keytops we use when re-topping often arrive
scratched and scuffed right out of the box.  The plastic seems so soft
that even resting your key-levelling straight-edge on them seems to
leave marks.  No alternative but to machine polish as the final step in
the job.  On occasion, we even deliberately abrade the new surfaces with
scotch-brite to create a low-gloss simulated ivory appearance and feel.

However, I did have the opportunity (at the request of a local jazz
artist) to try the german keytops available through Pianotek.  These
tops seem to be of a harder acrylic; resisted scuffing during
installation and feel noticeably ... different (in a positive way) under
the fingers, during play.  Highly recommended for 'quality' instruments.

Stan Kroeker, RPT

BTW ... the residue from PVC-E adhesive really does rub off cleanly with
one's thumb!  No solvents, no etching, no friction burns, no loss of skin.