[CAUT] Funny Noises

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:31:25 -0700

On 1/24/05 1:01 PM, "Ken Zahringer" <ZahringerK@missouri.edu> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>=20
> I=B9m working on a Steinway D here and it has some clicks in it that are
> stubbornly resisting my best efforts to eliminate them.  This is a 1970
> vintage piano that has some level of action rebuild done in 1993 (before =
my
> time).  Some of this work wasn=B9t done particularly well, so over semester
> break I put new Renner shanks & flanges and Ronsen hammers on it.  It tur=
ned
> out very nice, but there are five notes in the low treble that click when
> played.  It initially sounded like the click happens at hammer impact, bu=
t I
> think it might be triggered by the end of keystroke.  The click seems to =
be in
> the wippen, since when I pull the action and lift the hammer out of the w=
ay, I
> still get a click, but if I hold the wippen up and strike the key, I get =
no
> click.  It doesn=B9t appear to be jack top hitting anything, but I can=B9t fi=
nd
> the source of the noise.  This is particularly frustrating because I=B9m us=
ually
> pretty good at diagnosing this sort of thing.  I=B9m getting this piano rea=
dy
> for a concert this Friday, so I=B9m beginning to be a little anxious.  Any
> experience, ideas, or wild speculations out there?
>=20
> Ken Z.

I=B9ll echo Ed Foote: I=B9d put my money on the jack hitting something. Try
reducing key dip experimentally on the offending notes, and maybe putting a
wee bit of felt in the rep window. See if either or both eliminates the
click. If so, you can be pretty sure the jack is, faster than the eye can
see, hitting something. At any rate, I once went through an extended proces=
of troubleshooting, similar to what you describe, certain it wasn=B9t the
jacks, only to find out it was.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico