[CAUT] Re: Stringing braid in D

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:17:28 -0700

On 1/23/05 12:29 PM, "James Ellis" <claviers@nxs.net> wrote:

Snip
> In order to fully understand what, in my
> opinion, are those fallacies I alluded to, you have to go back and study
> the original 1872 patent, the subsequent patents, all of which have now
> expired, and the evolution of the whole idea.  You will find that the
> current concept does not necessarily correspond to C.F.T. Steinway's
> original idea.
>
> Jim Ellis

    Very True, Jim. Steinway has re-purchased the very first D (the original
serial number of D model pianos) and has rebuilt/remanufactured it (new
board, whole nine yards, retaining all original design features, so they
say). It was in the basement at NYC this past fall when I was there - work
not quite complete, so it wasn't playable yet. The front duplex was
amazingly long - often 1/2 speaking length. All the proportions (front and
back duplex) were quite different from what we have today (admittedly, this
statement is made based on eyeball judgment, not measurements, and on
looking at it for a few minutes). The Steinways consulted extensively with
that epitome of Germanic scholarship, Helmholtz, in coming up with the
original design. Those theoretical distances were, no doubt, very precisely
calculated to produce a theoretical result.
    Over time, and not a very long time at that, the distances were altered.
I suspect the changes were made very empirically, based on experimentation.
I don't have strong opinions one way or the other on the precise effect of
duplexes, but I do believe that the Steinways might have retained the basic
design even if it had no effect whatsoever, simply as a matter of marketing
and through sheer obstinacy. At any rate, I have found it interesting that,
opinion I could trust, the unanimous response is that the duplex bars are
placed approximately with a jig when the piano is first strung, and are
never moved (by factory folks); and rarely is any attention paid to them or
their placement. At least until it hits various "after-market" techs.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

PS In response to Wim, I, too, have found "original equipment" stringing
braid in the mid treble - I could tell it was original because it was one
continuous strip coming from the tenor and under the strut. I, too, have
removed it and found no perceptible problem (nor any perceptible
improvement, nor any significant change, for that matter). My advice: what
you hear is what you get. If you see (hear) no reason to replace it, don't.
    When I find felt in the front duplex area, I almost always remove it,
usually immediately, regardless how little I am doing to the piano. Usually
it's placed there because the tech couldn't get rid of buzzy noise related
to unlevel strings/failure to mate strings and hammers. The occasional area
will have some rust or metal burrs that need to be removed. But felt there
always has a deadening effect in my experience.