[CAUT] Re: Stringing braid in D

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:29:52 -0500

Yes, Wim, you will find some Steinways with braid in the lower parts of the
duplex scale.  The common assumptions about the function of the rear duplex
is, in my opinion, replete with fallacies that are too involved to
elaborate on here.  For my part, I would braid those portions of the lower
duplex that you found braided.  Also, check to make sure all of the string
tails are resting firmly on the rear duplex bars.  Once in a while, you may
find one or two that are just barely touching, and if that happens, they
will buzz and make funny noises.  In order to fully understand what, in my
opinion, are those fallacies I alluded to, you have to go back and study
the original 1872 patent, the subsequent patents, all of which have now
expired, and the evolution of the whole idea.  You will find that the
current concept does not necessarily correspond to C.F.T. Steinway's
original idea.

Jim Ellis