[CAUT] Stringing braid in D

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:42:05 EST

I just restrung a D at a church, and while unstringing, discovered the mid
section (the duplex area), had stringing braid woven between the strings. It
appeared to be original equipment. I thought the purpose of the duplex bar was
to allow these strings to "ring", as part of the tone of the piano? The piano
 sounds great without the stringing braid. I don't hear any unwanted
harmonics. I haven't thrown away the braid, so should I put it back on, or  leave it
the way it is?

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Technician