[CAUT] Plate Substitution

John Schaldach jmschaldach@earthlink.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:20:16 -0600

Does the 'new' plate have accu-just hitch pins?  Someone correct me if I'm
wrong but I don't think Baldwin was using accu-just pins in the 30's.  I'd
be pretty suprised if this turns out to be a new plate.

This may seem a bit unconventional but I don't think that the gaps along
the plate flange are the source of tuning instability.  I've torn down many
pianos that didn't have anywhere near 100% contact along the plate flange
and had no stability problem. I would even propose that it's not possible
to have complete contact between block and flange all year round if there
are strong seasonal humidity fluctuations.  Most pin blocks have a few
dozen stought screws through the plate as well as screws/dowels at both
ends into the rim--these are what keep the pinblock from moving.  Do the
plate screws seem snug?

Have you done a tuning on the instrument yet?

John Schaldach
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Viterbo University