[CAUT] Andres punching tested

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:22:24 EST

Hi Vince
  I think it has more to do with the pressed felt over  the woven felt. On
the other hand it reasonable to think that springiness in  felt is, well...
springiness. I'm not clear about that I only know what I heard  & felt on my D.
   I think Ric's comment about  the key  stick  acting more like a catapult
where the front end comes down on  something solid and stays put even though
the back of the key still may be in a  slight state of flux,does makes some
rational sense of what I think I'm  perceiving. I can't wait for more experience
with this.
   If you have a piano that's familiar to you &  you know it's sound well &
all you do is change the punchings & there's  a tonal change then this is the
perfect A-B comparison to be relied upon as  proof. It's a repeatable
experiment.
  Regards
  Dale Erwin

Vince  writes
  I wonder if pre-compressing the  punching's would give similar results ...
pre-compressing by stringing  the punching's on a slender threaded rod, then
with washers between the  punching's and wing nuts, squeeze the whole thing
together by tightening the  nuts, and storing them that way until  needed.