[CAUT] Re: Punchings and Tone

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:23:17 -0500

Except for the impact noise of the key bottoming out on the keybed, I don't
see how a hard front rail punching would have much effect upon the sound of
the piano, assuming the key is not too limber, the piano is not getting the
stuffings beaten out of it, and the action is properly regulated.  I'm
familiar with the difference in the feel of the thick soft front-rail
punchings - vs - the hard ones.  With much practicing, the hard punchings
will make for sore fingers sooner.

Also, there was an item about this very thing in the JOURNAL some 20 to 25
years ago.  The complaint was impact noise, and the solution was to use the
larger, thicker, softer punchings.  We are assuming the key frame is
properly bedded.  I have not done any experiments or made any measurements
of piano tone with FR punchings as the variable, and unless I do, I am
going to refrain from making any declarations.  The fact that the contact
area of the sharps is less than that of the naturals has not come up in
this discussion, but it has in some earlier ones.

Jim Ellis