[CAUT] Andres punching tested

Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:32:14 +0100

Hi Eric

The two that come to mind are the sound of the impact on the keyboard
itself, and how that figures into the total sound picture that is
perceived, and the <<catapult>> suggestion. This later suggests that the
end condition of the keystroke has an affect on how much energy input at
the key is absorbed by that endpoint or reflected onwards through the
system, and to some degree how whatever energy sent onwards is
affected.  Others more familiar with the physics of things can get into
a more formal discussion of possiblities in these regards, but I imagine
that the release of any key flex incured for a particular blow is an
interesting point to look at from more then one perspective.

I know, I know...there is this unroakable desire to equivilate piano
tone with the actual collision conditions of the hammer and string.  But
I think that alone is more complicated than that in itself ... as it were :)

RicB