[CAUT] Andres punching tested

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:33:53 -0500

I haven't heard any of the attempts to explain how firm frontrail punchings
might affect tone...I'm curious since there's (hopefully) no connection to
the frontrail punching during escapement or when the hammer hits the
string...is it some kind of psychoacoustic phenomonem? Please elaborate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Brekne [mailto:Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 2:00 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Andres punching tested

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>   Hi Fred
>   They are stiffer than anything I've ever encountered & mostly
> because it is not a woven cloth but a pressed felt. I've used the pear
> green & I don't find them any different than any thing else except the
> color is brighter. I'll check it out today with calipers
>   Dale

I'd agree... yet there is an elasticity to them as well not encountered
with other punchings... or so I seem to percieve these.  You get this
really nice feeling of hitting a very solid bottom while also
experiencing a very pleasant <<spring>> back upwards... nothing too
dramatic mind you, but noticible and nice.  Then there is the
unmistakable change in piano tone... harder to find an explaination for,
but some of the attempts made so far seem to have some sense to them. In
anycase its there.

RicB