[CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:49:17 -0700

On 1/13/05 10:44 AM, "Wimblees@aol.com" <Wimblees@aol.com> wrote:

> Last year I asked about the lack of sound from one of our D's. (If you re=
call,
> Olga Kern didn't like it). I got a lot of good advice, and below are two =
posts
> I got from Jeff and Eric. Since then I have done a lot of work on the new=
 D,
> but now, it just sits there. Most of the players, including faculty and
> students, prefer the older piano. Personally, I like the sound I get from=
 the
> new D, but then maybe I'm prejudiced. I don't have the thick skin Fred ha=
s, so
> this is becoming a personal challenge.
> =20
> I wonder if any of you who have a similar situation, (2 concert grands wh=
ere
> is one is preferred over the other), if you've tried switching hammers? I=
 have
> thought about doing this, but if it has been tried before without much
> success, I can save the time doing it. Any advice?
> =20
> Wim=20
> =20

Hi Wim,
    Actually, I take things like that very seriously. But not too
personally. My sense is that there is a lot of =B3herd instinct=B2 in any
department. At the moment, =B3everyone=B2 plays our newer piano, though both ar=
quite well set up, IMO (I guess I like the newer one a wee bit better, but
it=B9s close to a toss up). There are a couple of folks who are ornery enough
to have their own personal opinions, and choose #2, but everyone else wants
=B3the better one =AD you know, the new one.=B2 That may be what you are
experiencing. Word got out that the new piano isn=B9t up to snuff, so
everybody avoids it. It=B9s certainly a line to insert in your psyche to help
ease the pain <g>.
    Which isn=B9t to say you shouldn=B9t continue to explore possibilities with
the poor rejected one. I doubt swapping hammers would do the trick, but it=B9=
worthwhile experimenting a bit, exchanging just a few samples and seeing ho=
much difference and of what sort you get. You have to be VERY finicky about
alignment to strings to make this a fair test. If there is a substantial
change, and in a positive direction, then you know that hammers are
something to focus on. Do it both ways: hammers from the newer one into the
older as well (I=B9m talking shank and flange, too, not popping off and
re-gluing for this experiment).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico