[CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:44:53 EST

Last year I asked about the lack of sound from one of our D's. (If you =20
recall, Olga Kern didn't like it). I got a lot of good advice, and  below ar=
e two=20
posts I got from Jeff and Eric. Since then I have  done a lot of work on the=
=20
new D, but now, it just sits there. Most of the  players, including faculty=20=
and=20
students, prefer the older piano. Personally, I  like the sound I get from t=
he=20
new D, but then maybe I'm prejudiced. I don't have  the thick skin Fred has,=
=20
so this is becoming a personal challenge.=20
=20
I wonder if any of you who have a similar situation, (2 concert grands  wher=
e=20
is one is preferred over the other), if you've tried switching hammers? I =20
have thought about doing this, but if it has been tried before without much=20=
=20
success, I can save the time doing it. Any advice?
=20
Wim=20
=20
=20
=20
Wim,
As I have posted before, we have 2 D's both 1993 manufacture,  carefully=20
selected at the same time by our faculty. It didn't take long  however,=20
for one to become the instrument almost everybody plays, and the  other=20
sits in the corner, with rare exception, until both pianos are needed =20
simultaneously. The reason is that there is not as much life to the =20
tone. It's not that the second piano hasn't been played in - 8 1/2=20
years  of occasional playing should have accomplished that I would think=20
(we didn't  take possession of it until Fall '95).
=20
The second piano is capable of plenty of dynamic ranges, just like the =20
primary instrument, but I've been looking at why they seem to feel one =20
has life and the other does not. It is difficult to get needles into=20
the  hammers of the primary instrument, but on the second one, you can=20
bury them  almost by dropping the weight of the voicing tool. Plenty=20
loud when needed,  but not much life - er, "color". Plucking strings=20
reveals that the hammers  simply are not getting all they can out of the=20
strings. All I do for voicing  the piano with the harder hammers is to=20
sweeten the strike point once in a  while and everyone loves it.
=20
So, I'm going to try lacquering the way Ron Conors described how he =20
does it at the convention this summer. My goal is to get to it after=20
the  semester ends, so I'll let you know if that serves as the Fairy=20
Godmother.  It is time for Cinderella to go to the ball.
=20
Jeff
=20
Jeff,
I=E2=80=99ve been in the same situation before even on hammers that I=E2=80=
=99ve  soaked 3=20
times in 2:1 lacquer. The 4th soaking did the job=E2=80=A6got it to that mag=
ic  place=20
where it was transferring just the right kind of energy to the soundboard. =20
Heavier hammers need much more juicing in general and some hammers are =20
definitely more porous than others. My guess would be that piano #2 has bigg=
er, =20
heavier hammers. Lack of =E2=80=9Ccolor=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=9Cdullness=E2=80=
=9D generally means not enough upper =20
partials so I think you are on the right track. You will awaken the sleeping=
 =20
giant.
Eric Wolfley