[CAUT] Voicing and hall acoustics (A Joke)

Dafydd Llwyd Talcott 75711.1537@compuserve.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:44:18 -0500

Since Jim has mentioned "acoustrics" in his post I felt
that it was finally time tro chime in here with a personal
comment of my own; I've been saving it.

At one time I was fairly proficient at the piano, as well as
the harpsichord and organ; also have about 40 years experience
as a recoding engineer (which is nice as well); have recorded
everything from solo instruments (keyboard, flute, violin, voice)
up to full orchestra with continuo, soloists and double chorus.
The acoustics have varied from small living rooms to 3500
seat concert halls.

One afternoon I was aked to record the debut (I guess) solo piano
concert of a friend of a friend. The venue was local and we had lots
of time to set up equipment before the show. I had never worked this
venue before, so before establishing the mic positions I checked
the room acoustics with my "clap test": simply walking around the
hall, clapping my hands, and listening to the hall "speak" to me.
[In emergency conditions I sometimes must simply "eyeball" the room's
acoustics, observing the materials and dimensions.] Before I made
any acoustic tests I had noticed something "odd" about the hall:
it had what I whought were oddball proportions. The shape of
the room and the placing and shape of the stage didn't seem
right. And the floor and ceiling were PARALLEL. I was right, for when
I began clapping a BUZZ was coming back! This was being caused
by "standing waves" between the ceiling and the floor.

The pianist finally arrived and began practicing. It sounded hideous.
Harsh and jangling! It made my teeth hurt. There was no possible way
to record with a microphone setup (I use an X-Y array) in the hall.
I wound up with the mcs offstage, looking at the tail of the piano through
a door, at about waist height!

The "joke" in my title, above, is that this venue was the Berkeley Piano
Club.

Cheers,
Dave Talcott
Consultant