[CAUT] Voicing and hall acoustics

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:20:50 -0500

I have been reading the latest posts on voicing and hall acoustics, etc.,
and I'll make this brief.  The acoustics of the hall will have a profound
effect upon what the pianist hears - vs - what the audience hears.  An
experienced performer will know this, but one who is not very experienced
will not.  An inexperienced performer may think the piano sounds dead when
it doesn't sound dead at all.  Before you haul off and start doing things
to the piano, go see what it sounds like out in the hall - if possible,
when the hall is half full of people.

Jim Ellis