[CAUT] Junkers or Treasures

Wigent, Donald E WIGENTD@MAIL.ECU.EDU
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:44:30 -0500

I guess I am just old.  However I just answer the phone and give the
best advice that I can and go on the service call and tell the people
the best way to eather get the best out of the piano they have in the
room or get another.  Maybe sel them one from my shop Be informative
kind helpful and professional  By doing this you will make things
better, make friends, and make MONEY.. .

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Jeff Tanner
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 1:56 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Junkers or Treasures

On Sunday, January 9, 2005, at 05:26 PM, dan l tassin wrote:

> You won't believe how many  "dumb"
> people there still are out there in  "Grandma Land"

Oh yes I would

>  that think  THIS  is
> the piano we got for  "free"  that little Susie or Little Johnny
> is going to play on and take piano lessons.    " But, we only want to
> see
> if she/he has an interest in playing before we go out and buy
> a better use piano for $100 bucks ! "      (  go figure ... )

The interesting part about this is that little Susie and little Johnny
are not idiots.  They see exactly how dedicated Mom and Dad are to
their learning the piano when that $100 piece of junk that barely works
shows up in their living room.  If Mom and Dad aren't committed, why
should they be?

Do you send your kid to start band in the fifth grade with an old beat
up trumpet with sticking valves or an old flute with leaking pads or a
drum with a busted head and a broken snare?  How on earth do we expect
them to enjoy making music under those circumstances?

It's amazing to me that you have to spend $500 or more on a starter
violin, or $1500 for a beginner's saxophone, but to learn the piano you
shouldn't have to spend more than $100 - $250.

Now ask 'em how much they're paying for cable or satellite and internet
hookups or cell phones for the kids each month.

>  I'm sure you, next door in the next state, are
> TIRED of running into the same thing.

Oh yeah, we have plenty of them

> Are there any other techs out there running into this,
> or do most of you College/Univ. techs (like me) stay away from work
> like
> that and let the NEW Associates have it for fun and experience ??

Having this full time position gives me the ability to cultivate the
type of outside clientele I am interested in.  Like me, the guys around
town who've been here 20 years can pretty much do the same thing.  One
of the techs is getting out of  the old upright business because he's
allergic to the dust inside.  Hmmmmm.

> Annon.  from down South ...

Now, why couldn't I have been Annon, too?