[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

C. E. Hood hood@uwplatt.edu
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:55:55 -0600

Let's look at this from the customer's point of view, just for fun.  I call somebody in to fix, say, a funny feel to the handling of my car.  Brakes?  steereing? shocks?  I hope they find out.  I get it back, and it seems better maybe a little but not really.  But they obviously spent time at it & seem to have run out of ideas.  So I say Yes it's better, thanks, and let them off the hook - maybe I'll let it get worse & try somebody else.
    So maybe we should try to pin down better what the ineffable problem is (or effinig problem) and actually deal with it.  I know piano response is pretty subjective & it may be imaginary -
   Margaret

-----Original Message-----

From: Jeff Tanner <jtanner@mozart.sc.edu>

To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>

Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:27:26 -0500

Subject: Re: [CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

On Monday, January 10, 2005, at 03:29 PM, michelle stranges wrote:

> I've had some faculty memebers rave about the piano and other

> (di)faculty members find *s*o*m*e*t*h*i*n*g they don't like about it.

> Secretly I've ignored these ones and *pretend* I did something and

> tell them I changed it to their liking.

> Guess what?

> They think it sounds WAAAYAYYYYYYYYYYYY better.

> Arms up-.... you know you've done this!!!!!  (Placebo effect, eh?)

Ok, ok, you got me. But in this case it wasn't voicing.  Just today I

was asked by a visiting artist to just clean up the octaves.

Do what?  If the octaves have gone, the whole piano is gone.  There's

not time for that now.

I touched up a few unisons.  They'll love it.

I think sometimes they like to talk just because they think they're

supposed to sound smarter than everybody else.

anon