[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:27:26 -0500

On Monday, January 10, 2005, at 03:29 PM, michelle stranges wrote:

> I've had some faculty memebers rave about the piano and other
> (di)faculty members find *s*o*m*e*t*h*i*n*g they don't like about it.
> Secretly I've ignored these ones and *pretend* I did something and
> tell them I changed it to their liking.
> Guess what?
> They think it sounds WAAAYAYYYYYYYYYYYY better.
>
> Arms up-.... you know you've done this!!!!!  (Placebo effect, eh?)

Ok, ok, you got me. But in this case it wasn't voicing.  Just today I
was asked by a visiting artist to just clean up the octaves.

Do what?  If the octaves have gone, the whole piano is gone.  There's
not time for that now.

I touched up a few unisons.  They'll love it.

I think sometimes they like to talk just because they think they're
supposed to sound smarter than everybody else.

anon