[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:10:46 -0800

Start from the middle and work out, just like tuning.  Compare each
section as you go to maintain balance.

If it's a NY Steinway D and it's getting strident you won't need to add
liquids.  If you find a note in which the attack isn't sharp enough, or
if you over needle the crown slightlly, use only a very dilute
keytop/plastic solution and only on the crown--a drop or two.  It will
dry within 10-15 minutes.  Don't use softening liquids.

NY Steinway needling is done all in the crown, shoulder voicing is
useless.  You can usually do the whole piano with a chopstick voicing
tool.  If the hammer shape is good you should be able to bring down the
piano to a level you want relatively quickly.  If you need to do some
shaping and string mating you will need more time.

Before you do anything to the overall level, however, listen to the
piano from different places in the hall.  What sounds strident in the
first row or from the bench may sound perfect in the middle of the hall
or in the back.  The sound at the bench should not be used as the
criteria for what level the piano needs to be for the hall.  In most
halls, the sound at the bench needs to be a fair amount brighter than
you would ordinarily make it.