[CAUT] Disassembling an upright was: recycled Lumber

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 16:16:01 -0500

On Wednesday, January 5, 2005, at 03:11 PM, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> Yes a minimum wage worker can get an upright un -strung in 1 & 1/2
> hours strings & pins removed & or just loosen the tension so it
> doesn't explode when the post get removed.

Speaking of, I saw a program on the Discovery Channel a few weeks back
where they disassembled what appeared to be a NEW (high polish ebony)
vertical piano in order to convert it into some kind of wet bar.  I
watched in horror as these improvement "EXPERTS" took the bolts out of
the plate without letting down the tension.  They weren't even wearing
safety glasses.  You can just imagine their conversations:

"Hey, I think I see how it works! It looks like you just take the bolts
out of this harp thing and it will lean over and lift right out.  Hey,
get me the electric screwdriver."

Meanwhile the guy on the other side is chopping into the soundboard and
backposts with an axe.

Luckily, the plate still wouldn't come out.  They finally decided to
take wire cutters and go along under the tuning pins cutting them all
loose in just a minute or so.  I was glad to see them get that done
before someone got hurt, but am still concerned that people around the
country who saw the program might try to duplicate the project and not
be as fortunate.

I wrote the show, but haven't heard back from them.

And why they didn't use an old upright with one of those beautiful
cabinets which would have otherwise been bound for a junk yard is still
baffling me.

Jeff
Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music