[CAUT] Whippen Rail

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 22:33:19 +0100

Thanks Roger, and all you others posting on this.  I have to admit I
hadnt thought of this little trick, and I might have to give it a look see.

What I ended up with as a first shot is raising the whole whippen rail
about 0.8 mm.  I used 1 mm paper and I suppose screwed down tight that
adds up to about 0.8 mm. Then I set the whippen center to hammer center
distance to 113, tho only god knows if thats a good measurement for
these beasts. Seemed to work out reasonably well. I got a real nice 90
degree angle between the hammer shank and jack with all at rest and
regulated correctly, and  I got the white key intersect at about 3-4 mm
through the key stroke.  I have to rebush the keys and take care of a
bunch of friction issues so I'll move on to those for the moment, but
I'll get back to this in a couple days. The whippen rail has obviously
been moved around quite a bit before,  visable by at least 3 seperate
washer indentations on the rail where the screws hold it to the
brackets. Somebody had really be experiementing around too,  the
furthest out was 4-5 mm from the furthest in. So I decided it was a good
idea to try and optimize it.

All this puts me on the question tho of how to arrive at the proper
height for the whippen center.   Assuming you have good reason to doubt
an action,  how do you go about determining the optimal height for a
given balance rail, hammer rail, and string to keybed distance ?

Cheers
RicB