[CAUT] Keys and Security issues

David Vanderhoofven david@vanderpiano.com
Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:22:30 -0600

Greetings,

Does anyone have a security policy I could look at for ideas?  I have keys
to several churches and college buildings containing many hundreds of
thousands of dollars of equipment, and I was thinking about putting
something in writing covering the handling of keys and other related
security issues.  At one college where I tune, several thousand dollars of
stereo and other equipment has been stolen in the past.    A written policy
could give my customers peace of mind.

Here are some ideas:
1.  All keys should be locked in a safe when they are not in use, to
prevent unauthorized use.
2.  Keys are not loaned out to anyone.
3.  Doors that are unlocked when I arrive remain unlocked, doors that I
have to unlock get relocked.
4.  The security office should have my photograph and pertinent information
about my vehicle, so that they know why I am there and what I am doing.
5.  At a location where there is no security office, I check in with
someone at the facility when I arrive and when I leave.

Does anyone else have any good ideas?

Happy New Year!
David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO