[CAUT] Symptom descriptions

Mon, 03 Jan 2005 18:32:16 +0100

Nichols wrote:

> New key buttons, and/or shoes, would be a guaranteed improvement for
> sure.
> We've seen solid evidence of increased stiffness in sound boards, with
> the application of penetrating epoxy. That's why I was hoping someone
> had experience with stiffening keys.

Well, I'll be interested in any tricks that come up for sure. But I
would think that soundboard stiffness and key stiffness are pretty much
different puppies. The keys are, I imagine under stresses that would
tend to break down this kind of stiffning help, where as the sound board
not so much. But perhaps this musing is incorrect.

>> I dont really think theres a cheap and easy way of dealing with this
>> effectively, but perhaps some of the more experienced woodworkers
>> have some good suggestions.
>>
>> My diagnostics tools to confirm this is first a general sense of
>> action compliance, then simply check the keys themselves.
>

> Oh yeah, WE can diagnose flexi-key easily with a quick exam. My
> question is more along the lines of translation and interpretation of
> "artist speak". I've always found it entertaining to decipher what it
> is that "they" are trying to tell us when they have a complaint... or
> situation, or whatever.

I think one is forced to simply gain experience and be able to relate to
action compliance issues  pretty directly. In my experience too little
compliance usually equates to a sensation of not being able to get any
real power, to much is often accompanied by complaints of the action
feeling stiff.    But as to date I  dont think anyone has tried to
assemble any hard data on the subject. Opens up for a good discussion
tho Guy, just how do techs experience action compliance problems in
general, and specifically keys that are too flexible (or not)

Cheers
RicB