[CAUT] re: weekend work, was "mind bender"

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:42:04

Hi,

We sometimes forget we are artisans rather than artists.

Horowitz preferred 3 p.m. on Sundays for recitals. Would you presume to
refuse to service his piano?

I do realize that often University Techs are under paid and over worked.
The trade off is a paycheck that is stable and other benefits. However in
"private practice" I have been required to tune pianos at 2 a.m., which I
did quite cheerfully, and as it was a concert hall where I was the resident
tuner, there was no "extra" remuneration involved.

At 04:33 PM 21/02/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>>  We have a more or less regular Faculty type recital every Sunday at 3
>> PM.
>
>That is a very inconsiderate schedule for everyone involved.  I bet
>they don't even charge admission.

>Jeff Tanner, RPT

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7