[CAUT] re: weekend work, was "mind bender"

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:33:02 -0500

On Friday, February 18, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Avery Todd wrote:

> I kind of have a feeling that you're one of the lucky few. :-)

Only because someone stood up for himself at some point and told them
if they wanted a piano tuned the day of the recital to schedule a
recital on weekdays, otherwise, expect whatever remains of a tuning
from Friday.  If we allow them to trample us, you can guarantee they
will.

> Unfortunately, I don't really have that option....

Who else are they going to call?  It's not like they can outsource it
to India.

>  We have a more or less regular Faculty type recital every Sunday at 3
> PM.

That is a very inconsiderate schedule for everyone involved.  I bet
they don't even charge admission.

Certainly, occasional, RARE, weekend work is unavoidable.  And the
special occasion FP tuning like this would probably fit the bill.  But
it should NOT be the norm and we should be paid extra for it.
Administrations typically group us in a classification with carpenters,
painters, plumbers, HVAC techs... -- how often do you see your
"classmates" showing up on a Sunday night, or any time between about 5
pm Friday and 8 am Monday for that matter?  That group would be
screaming about how little they were paid if they were asked to keep
the schedule many of us are asked to keep.  Why do we do it?

Look, we gross $150 a day during weekdays (1/3 of private sector
potential) and they expect us to throw in weekend work for free?  My
children can't eat comp time.

We have to stand up for ourselves.  They, on the other hand, need to
realize that we provide an extremely valuable service to the school,
and that we are typically the only person handling that service, and
that we have a life too.  It is a matter of professional courtesy and
respect.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music