[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:31:32 -0500

I must certainly agree with everyone that partial approaches have value =
but for the customer to realize the most enjoyment from the piano I =
stand by my statement that rebuilding is best. And the more extensive =
the better. Of course inspect carefully and save what is salvagable but =
despite what Tim Coates ( and you know I'm on your side brother) says =
and what John Koster's stories may indicate I can tell you stories of =
complete restorations that are very successful. So really it comes down =
to your customer's needs and you have given very little info about the =
customer. As I'm sure  we all try and tune our customers we also should =
restore or rebuild our customers. So Stephen what kind of customer is =
this anyway? A museum that will attract the out-of-towners looking for =
novelty? The stay at home only gona play hymns on Sundays? A wise =
investor looking to maintain resale value? Then we can talk.
 And just so I can get my story in: I service a "transitional" design =
Steinway nearby and it was pruchased from Steinway around 1915. Prior to =
that it was used for the concert "bank" and was brought in for design =
updates at least 3 times between construction and sale to the public. =
This is not anecdotal  but common practice. Clearly Steinway thinks a =
"good playing" instrument is an updated one.
 I may as well take this opportunity to come out of the closet and =
reveal my bias, actually a pet peave, just to be fair. In case anyone =
wasn't catching the drift, I have almost no use for historical =
instruments. I can't imagine any musician of the day, say Franz Liszt, =
looking for "the good old piano." Most often professional pianists, =
unless they are looking for novelty, or are overcome with this absurd =
nostalgia for "original instruments," look for the best new piano they =
can find. 'Cause the design is up to date and the parts are new and it =
plays like they expect. Everything else is ANOMALY. And unless your =
customer is of that ilk I'd stick to I-95. (I do make one notable =
exception and that is reproductions. They make for wonderful =
"Historical" concerts although I do think the whole concept is a bit =
hysterical). Of course Stephen, be attentive to what Bill Shull and =
others are warning of cause this isn't I-95, but get as close as you can =
and a "NORMAL" customer will be happy. And BTW, sorry Bill, we're full =
at MARC and printed for this year, but I have forwarded your shameless =
self invitation to Steve and Paul and will put in a good word for you.
Best to All,
 Chris Solliday =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20