[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:36:30 -0500

Stephen, I service a 1864 Style ll that has had everything done to
it..new everything including the plate (cracked beyond repair according
to the owner). The only thing that wasn't replaced was the damper
system, and it is a beast to work with. It is not a performance
instrument as it stands now, and it probably never will be. Boaz's
comments about bearing and tone quality are true with this one also. I
got it up to 440 after 3 tunings..the owner wanted me to try, and I was
successful.

I would consider it more of a conversation piece and a potential
collector's item..but not a performance instrument.

Stephen, if you decide to do the work on it, PLEASE replace that damper
system if it's the older style.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)