[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:55:07 EST

Stephen,

I do a program entitled "The Early Steinway" which covers the Steinway grand
from 1859 to 1880.  This represents the final transitional period to the
modern piano, and Steinway's journey provides a good example of how a manufacturer
successfully made the transition to what most people now think of as a piano.
I am also interested in any information that can be gleaned from a completely
original Style 1 to 6 Steinway, especially the results of an analysis of
original treble string material.    (I haven't yet discovered - if someone here
has, please share - what Steinway used for treble wire;  the lengths are too
short for modern wire, even at a higher pitch Steinway played with during this
period.  I believe it is important in understanding the 1860's/1870's "sound
world" to have a Steinway grand from the period which has orginal strings, so
that a period instrument might be available for historical and period performance
study.

Ed's right to comment about structural issues;  the pinblocks have a tendency
to separate and/or warp, and the treble rim joint doesn't do so well either.
But I know of more than one of these pianos which has been remanufactured
successfully and is holding up fine, including one I rebuilt which is sustaining
3/4 degree of downbearing in the mid/high treble area.

I am trying to prepare this program for publication (if PTJ is interested),
but it is presently a Powerpoint presentation, and it's been slow go, so far,
lots of pictures, little text.   It's a real fun subject, though, I wish I had
more time to write tonight, but there are too many issues to raise right now
(since I'm currently crash'preparing tomorrow's CAUT classes at the CA State
Conference in Sacramento).

A brief rundown of a few of the issues:

Short treble stringing scale, should be rescaled or Pure Sound wire should be
used (consult with the folks at Pure Sound)

Experimentation with pitch (Steinway was building some pianos at up to A-457)

3/4 plate/pinblock problems, might be fine and you can plug and reuse
pinblock, but might also be a disaster and you should open up the case (it's a
"mortised" pinblock) and install a new pinblock;

1st generation duplexing is extremely funky and should be abandoned;

action geometry - key ratio may be upwards of 64%, and hammers are very
light;  even "lights" might be too heavy.

Of course, the typical problems of early modern Steinways you'll find here,
too, such as damper set screws that cannot be tightened.  But none of these
actions will have verdigris (unless rebuilt with parts from the verdigris
period), which is why a very clean original example might make an excellent, fully
functioning near-museum restoration.

It is important to determine the "originality" of the instrument, since you
may want to preserve, if it's worth preserving.  That's a big subject, others
may want to take it up in this context.....

I could send you the current version of my "Early Steinway Grand"
presentation if you would like.   And/or you could ask the folks at MARC if they'd invite
me to give the class there in March (nothing like a brazen effort to get
invited to MARC, huh!)

Sincerely,

Bill Shull

and also to In a message dated 2/10/2005 6:10:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,