[CAUT] h'chord regulation question

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:30:26 -0700

Hi Dave,
    I agree with your assessment of normal plucking order (4=B9, back 8=B9,
front 8=B9/upper keyboard). A helpful hint for those who really get deep into
harpsichords: generally the jack operated by the upper keyboard comes last,
and this makes the upper keyboard touch feel lousy, as there is such a
distance before the plectrum meets the string, and pluck happens late in th=
keystroke (a feel analogous to lack of aftertouch in a piano, as the pluck
happens close to where the key bottoms out). To alleviate this problem, it
helps to introduce a small amount of lost motion between the dogleg of the
lower key and the bottom of the upper key. This must be a subtle and even
amount of lost motion (obtained by filing a wee bit off the top of the
dogleg). The result is that part of the stagger when the bottom key is
played consists of that lost motion. From the point of view of the upper
key, pluck happens sooner (plectrum can be closer to the string at rest).
    This may be completely unintelligible to many. If so, you should
probably ignore it, as you probably don=B9t know enough and have enough
experience to make successful use of it.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico